A toxicology report has revealed Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell had several prescription drugs in his system when he died in a Detroit hotel room in May.
"Many of us who know Chris well noticed that he wasn't himself during his final hours and that something was very off," his wife Vicky Cornell told TMZ on Friday (local time).
"We have learned from this report that several substances were found in his system. After so many years of sobriety, this moment of terrible judgement seems to have completely impaired and altered his state of mind."
The singer had naloxone (Narcan), butalbital (sedative), lorazepam (Ativan), pseudoephedrine (decongestant) and barbiturates in his system at the time of death, TMZ reports. He also is reported to have taken four (1 mg) Lorazepam tablets.
Vicky says she did not believe the singer meant to kill himself, suggesting the drugs he was taking played a role in his death.
"Something clearly went terribly wrong and my children and I are heartbroken and are devastated that this moment can never be taken back," she said.
"We very much appreciate all of the love we have received during this extremely difficult time and are dedicated to helping others in preventing this type of tragedy."
Cornell, 52, was found dead in the bathroom of his Detroit hotel after his iconic grunge band Soundgarden had played a concert in the city.
Ms Cornell said she had asked security to check on her husband on Wednesday night when she spoke to him before and after the Soundgarden show.
"I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different," she said. "He told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two."
Cornell's death, in the midst of a US tour, was met with an outpouring of grief and tributes from around the world.
Reuters / Newshub.